7.23.2014

How to Fight Cancer with Flowers

How to Fight Cancer with Flowers...

Lily Blossom Florists, East Molesey, are proud to be the first ever florists to support Macmillan Cancer Support:

You may have noticed our monthly featured bouquets, in support of Macmillan. If not, let me explain: each month, our expert florists carefully select one of our most popular bouquets of seasonal flowers, and every time you buy this featured bouquet from us, we donate 15% of our profit to Macmillan Cancer Support.
Although of course, most people care deeply, for many of us, cancer is something that happens to other people. However, it is a sad fact, that one in three people will develop some form of cancer in their lifetime. Although three quarters of those diagnosed with cancer are aged 60 or above, cancer affects people of all genders, colours and ages.

Macmillan not only supports those who have been diagnosed with cancer, but their friends, families and loved ones too. This alone, is reason enough to support them. However, Lily Blossom’s journey to becoming a Macmillan supporter, is a distinctly personal one. Our business owner Nicholas, tells us why…

 “Four years ago, cancer was something that happened to other people. Then, one fateful day, the story of cancer, became our story: my father in law, was diagnosed with cancer, and from that day, everything changed…

The cancer started in his stomach, and spread to his liver. My father in law is loved so much by our family and of course, I was devastated to learn of this news. Wanting to support him as much as I could, I began to research the nature of cancer, and available treatments on the internet. And, as both son in law, and business entrepreneur, I found myself asking ‘what use can I be?’

Through research I discovered, that many companies support cancer charities such as Macmillan. But these companies are usually big outfits, and donate more than our little flower shop’s annual turnover! I must admit, for a little while, I was discouraged, and didn't know what impact, realistically, I or Lily Blossom Florists could possibly have. Then, as weird as it may sound, one night in a dream, an image came to me, and stayed with me long after I had woken up…

Now, as you can see from my illustration (below), I am no artist, but I felt compelled to draw this image, just to acknowledge its existence really. And perhaps to keep it, as a memory. But when I drew it, I found myself inspired to take it further. The result was a frame full of flowers that embodied the image. Perhaps all the research I had been doing, had subconsciously affected me: the image looks to me, like white blood cells defending the body, and regenerating cancerous blood cells. The image both touched and inspired me. I took a picture of it, and sent it to my father in law, with the message, “your blood is fighting. Don’t give up on yourself.” 



I remember my father in law being so happy. So proud of me. And now, although it’s clearly no Van Gogh, the flower frame is an enduring image of hope and faith, to me, and I hope, will continue to be for my father in law. It was also this fantastic, brave man, who encouraged me to spread my positive message in any way I could, no matter how small. And his inspiration led me to contact Macmillan.

I remember thinking that, as a boutique florist, perhaps our impact may not be as massive as a big corporation. But flowers are a symbol of hope, and love, and a positive affirmation of life. And any act of support, no matter how small, is invaluable, to those of us whose lives have been touched in some way, by cancer.”

Nicholas Lee, Business Owner, Lily Blossom Florists.

And that is the story of how Lily Blossom, a little boutique florists tucked away in Hampton Court, became the first florist to support the wonderful work of Macmillan, and fight cancer with flowers.

With the help of charities like Macmillan, there is hope and support for those touched by cancer. Because of the awareness-raising activities and research of charities such as Macmillan, recognizing the signs of cancer is becoming increasingly better, many cancers are now treatable, and where they are not, can be managed with treatments, meaning a better quality of life for cancer patients as compared to years ago.
But there is still much, much more to do. If you would like to help us support Macmillan, consider purchasing our feature bouquet. It is a small act. But it is an act of hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment